Wednesday, October 24

Birch Bark

I put this small book together using birch strips I found at Terrain last week.
The slip knot binding I learned from watching Karin Bartimole's video is a little different from the coptic binding I generally use, but it is quick and easy and still allows the book to lay open flat. AND this method works for binding single sheets.
It was nice to work with different materials today.

Monday, October 15

It's the Waiting that Kills Me

India Flint recommends that bundles be left to "rest" for a couple of days after coming out of the dye pot, before unwrapping them, in order to realize their full potential.

I think it's safe to say that all my bundles are underachievers, as it's nearly more than I can do to wait until they are cool before opening the little beauties.

So, the other night, 11:30 p.m. seemed just as good as 7:30 a.m. for unwrapping. Besides, I reasoned, I'd sleep better if I wasn't wondering what magic had occurred while this block of yumminess had been cooling for six hours.
This batch of 36 pieces of paper had been layered with leaves that were pressed overnight between the pages of the hefty new Restoration Hardware catalog (a wonderful way to study their fall offerings) and then wrapped between two pieces of cardboard that were slightly larger than the size of the paper. Loosely following the technique I read about on Cassandra Tondro's site, this bundle was steamed rather than boiled for about three hours.
However, I could see that the pages didn't have that delicious dark edge that comes from being simmered in the dye pot, so after the steaming, into the dye pot they went for about an hour.
I'm not sure if the results are from the steaming or the boiling, or even the pressing, but I'm really happy with the rich, sharp prints that this batch yielded.

 There was a chunk of salvaged iron in the bottom of my dye pot and a splash of vinegar in the water, but nothing else was added, and I forgot to dampen my paper before layering my leaf sandwich, so the paper was dry when I started the process.

Saturday, October 6

Diamonds and Rust

I've been itching to use that as a book title.
So, I added a little rhinestone to this one, just so I could. I guess you might say that the tail was wagging the dog, but I like it.
As threatened, the pages in this book are made from paper I rusted last month.
The first page is made from sandwiched composite mica.
This image of the girls sits inside of a rusty washer embellished with brass filigree under resin. It (thankfully) fits nicely in the hole cut into the front cover.
A piece of vintage lace rests between the sheets of mica.
I'm really liking the endbands I've added to the last two books. It took a lot of false starts before I was able to relearn how to stitch these. Daniel Essig taught me the technique, but it's been a while.

Thursday, October 4

Autumn's smile

"Every leaf speaks bliss to me, fluttering from the autumn tree." ~ Emily Bronte
Today, I'm building homes for the leaf pages. The first page of this book is made from mica sandwiched around a skeleton leaf. The rest are the eco-dyed paper mixed with some decorative and Mi-Teintes pastel papers.
Tomorrow, the rust paper . . .